Defense Ministry confirms media reports of spy chief retirement
16:25 26/12/2011
MOSCOW, December 26 (RIA Novosti)
Col. Gen. Alexander Shlyakhturov has retired as chief of Russia’s military intelligence (GRU) and handed over his duties to Maj. Gen. Igor Sergun, a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Monday.Shlyakhturov, 64, who has led the GRU since April 2009, left his post because he reached the maximum age of eligibility, the spokesman said.
-
Earlier on Monday, government daily Rossiiskaya Gazeta denied an unattributed December 24 report by the Kommersant daily that Shlyakhturov had left his post.
Rossiiskaya Gazeta quoted an unauthorized source as saying Shlyakhturov continues working for the GRU and has not handed over his duties to anyone.
-
Little is known publicly about General Shlyakhturov's biography and service record. Such tight secrecy implies that he is a career intelligence operative.
Kommersant said in its report Shlyakhturov would in the near future head the board of directors of the Moscow Institute of Heat Engineering (MIT), the developer of the Bulava ballistic missile and other strategic missile systems.

No comments:
Post a Comment